Get within arm’s reach of wildlife on our speedy and fun dolphin & whale watching zodiac-style boats. VERY low to the water & GoPro friendly. Our fastest vessels!
Dates: Tours run 7 days a week
Capacity: Although Manute’a is Coast Guard certified to carry up to 49 guests, for safe social distancing we are limiting capacity.
Underwater Viewing Pods
- Safe and never crowded.
- Boat is cleaned with CDC-approved products in-between cruises.
- Year-round whales, dolphins, sea lions, sharks, birds, and more!
- We are an official Dana Point whale watching company.
- Entry into the Underwater Viewing Pods requires the use of ladder-like steps. Persons with a disability or limited mobility may have difficulty.
Departure times vary. Please select a date to view safari times.
- Adult (13 & up)
- Child (1-12)
- Infants (up to 12 months)
“…this tour offers the best whale watching in the world…”
Capt. Dave’s Super-Safe Dana Point Whale Watching Tour
Manute’a (pronounced mah-noo-tay-ah) is our high-tech, high-speed catamaran sailboat offering the world’s most unique dolphin and whale watching experience in Orange County.
Manute’a features Capt. Dave’s exclusive Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. These amazing viewing pods give you the extraordinary experience of feeling what it’s like to swim with dolphins and whales—underwater—without getting wet, making it an unforgettable whale watching tour you’ll talk about for days to come!
This vessel also features three Eye-Spy Dolphin Tram Nets on the bow for an up-close and immersive Dana Point whale watching adventure, a micro dolphin and whale museum, and live narration from expert marine naturalists for a whale watching experience in Orange County that is both fun and educational.
Does the thought of being elbow to elbow with people terrify you? It terrifies us, too! That’s why Capt. Dave’s trips have always practiced social distancing with plenty of room, comfortable seating, and fewer guests. And now we are giving you more space than ever before.
Manute’a usually carries up to 49 happy passengers. For our Super-Safe Signature Safari, the boat will have a limited number of guests.
Manute’a is the primary vessel used for our daily Dana Point whale watching trips in Orange County.
At the end of the Super-Safe Safari, Mrs. Capt. Dave’s legendary, delicious Triple Fudge Brownies are served complimentary!
How We’re Keeping You Safe
Our crew is healthy and has been healthy for at least the last 14 days. We ask the same of you. Boat crews and Dolphin Deck team members have their temperature taken daily to assure their health status.
Your vessel will be thoroughly wiped down prior to your trip with CDC approved products.
Our crew will be wearing a face covering when they are within six feet of guests.
We are reducing guest capacity on our already spacious catamarans.
Effective June 18, 2020 the California Department of Public Health is requiring the use of cloth face coverings in most circumstances when in public places.
– While outdoors in public spaces when maintaining a physical distance of 6 feet from persons who are not members of the same household or residence is not feasible.
Due to these state-mandated guidelines, please note the following:
• Each public safari guest must wear a cloth face covering during check-in.
• Each public safari guest must wear a cloth face covering during the cruise if they are less than 6 feet from another guest outside of their household.
The following individuals are exempt from wearing a face covering:
- Persons age two years or under.
- Persons with a medical condition, mental health condition, or disability that prevents wearing a face covering. This includes persons with a medical condition for whom wearing a face covering could obstruct breathing or who are unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove a face covering without assistance.
- Persons who are hearing impaired, or communicating with a person who is hearing impaired, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication.
- Persons who are eating or drinking provided that they are able to maintain a distance of at least six feet away from persons who are not members of the same household or residence.
What do our guests say about whale watching in Orange County?
Wildlife We’re Seeing
Summer is a ‘fintastic’ opportunity for dolphin and whale watching! Dana Point is the World’s Dolphin and Whale Watching Capital® and blessed to have moderate weather all year long.
Got the ‘summertime blues’? We’ve got your cure right here! Summer is the prime season to see blue whales, the largest known animal on earth. Reaching lengths of up to 100 feet, blue whales are a truly magnificent sight to behold. And Dana Point Harbor, with it’s quick access to the open ocean where blue whales roam, is the perfect spot for you to get up-close and personal with these gentle giants of the sea.
Dana Point has a few year-round baleen whale species including playful humpback whales, large and friendly fin whales, and curious minke whales, too. These majestic creatures can be seen anytime from January through December. All three species are known to be curious about boats, and will sometimes come over and check you out! That’s called a whale mugging.
You also have the possibility of seeing orcas (killer whales) throughout the year while on a whale watching tour in Dana Point. They can appear at any time, without warning, so have your camera ready! Or you might have a rare encounter with pilot whales, false killer whales, or even sperm whales. Other special sightings could include basking sharks, the second-largest shark in the world, and huge elephant seals.
Hold on to your safari hats because we’re not done yet! Several species of wild dolphins are seen throughout the year while whale watching in Orange County —some in pods that can number up to 10,000. Imagine nothing but dolphins in every direction as far as the eye can see! It’s during these cooler months that we see one of our favorite dolphins, the beautiful black and white pacific white-sided dolphin. They prefer cooler water temps, so now is the best time of year to view them! And that’s not all. Over 50 species of pelagic birds, sea lions, seals, and sharks, including the great white, mako, hammerhead, thresher, and more could be encountered.
Cetacean Declaration – Sightings Guarantee
You might be wondering, “What if I don’t see anything?” Although we locate whales or dolphins on over 95% of our trips, there are rare occasions when we don’t see any marine mammals while whale watching in Dana Point. And in that unlikely event—zero whales or dolphins—you can return for FREE for another whale watching tour within one year from the date of the trip.
Join us for the adventure of a lifetime! Book your dolphin and whale watching Dana Point tour now!
Give the gift of an unforgettable dolphin and whale watching adventure! With year-round whales, dolphins, sea lions, and more, anytime is a great time for your recipient to enjoy their gift.