About Our Dolphin and Whale Watching Trips
We have many fun whale watching and dolphin watching adventures to choose from!
Aboard Captain Dave’s Whale Watching Safari there is never a dull moment, always a learning opportunity, and guaranteed a thrill. On our whale watching trips you can be close enough to smell their breath! Look at our whale watching sightings page to get an idea of how often we see whales and dolphins on our trips.
Our boats are safe, extremely stable, and designed especially for you to get up close and personal with the awesome dolphins and whales of Southern California.
We leave from Dana Point Harbor daily and take you on a 2 1/2 hour ocean adventure. Dana Point is located not too far from Sea World in San Diego, California (approximately 60 minutes away). And we’re a short drive south from Disneyland in Anaheim. Our Dana Point whale watching trips serve all of Southern California including Los Angeles, Long Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, and San Diego.
Captain Dave is an experienced marine naturalist who has been leading dolphin trips and whale watching from Orange County since 1995. He has also created and produced the award winning documentary, “Wild Dolphins & Whales of Southern California” and wrote a new award winning book, “Lily, A Gray Whale’s Odyssey“.
A few reasons why we’re so different:
• Our high-tech catamaran sailboat, “Manute’a”, has the world’s only Eye to Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. You can feel what it’s like to swim with dolphins and BE one of the pod!
• Capt Dave is THE Dolphin & Whale expert! Producer of the award-winning documentary, “‘Wild Dolphins & Whales of Southern California”, weekly columnist and frequent speaker, he spends more time with these animals than anyone we know! Did we mention, he’s also a really great guy?
• Our specially designed whale watching boats can get you UP CLOSE!
• Venture out on our Eye-Spy Dolphin Nets aboard our catamarans for a really close encounter! See dolphins, and sometimes even whales, swimming just under your feet.
• You’ll hear the unique languages of the dolphins with our underwater hydrophone.
• On the way home, we’ll teach you about the animals. We have a collection of items from around the world, including whale baleen and teeth, vertebrae, fossils, a shark jaw and teeth and scale models of many of the animals we see. You can touch these items and learn first-hand how these animals eat, sleep and live.
• Mrs. Capt. Dave’s famously yummy triple fudge brownies are served on every whale watching trip (that’s the real reason some folks come on our trips!).
Don’t take our word for it. Read what other whale watchers have to say about our safaris!
A couple of our favorite videos taken during our regular whale watching safaris:
This whale headed straight for us and turned aside just seconds before contact. Capt. Dave shot the surface footage and a passenger, Leslie Jeanne Morava, shot the underwater footage while she was in our Underwater Viewing Pod. WOW!!!
A pod of 7 transient killer whales attacked and killed a California seal lion. Whale Watchers on board Capt. Dave’s Whale Watching Safari were amazed by this rare display. Some passengers were able to witness the event underwater from the vessel’s two underwater viewing pods.
See more amazing dolphin and whale watching videos taken during our whale watching trips.